Thursday, March 31, 2011

Performance artist Laurie Anderson


Laurie Anderson is a very talented contemporary performance artist. According to an article about her which was posted today on the NoneSuch web site, she "is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, this week for the opening of a new exhibition at the Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil (CCBB) titled I in U (Eu em Tu). The retrospective show, created exclusively for the CCBB, presents a set of original works produced by Anderson from the 1970s to today, featuring installations, photographs, drawings, videos, music, and documentations of performances."

I have seen her perform twice. One of the times that I saw her in Philadelphia, about twenty years ago, I was actually sitting in a seat that was designated as a seat being filmed during the concert with the camera that was embedded in her violin. It was wild to see myself on the screen behind her, at various times, during the set.

1 comment: